Sunday, May 20, 2012

Clingy

I'm officially clinging onto the island life with all my might. I think the fact that my departure to go back to Minnesota is so rapidly approaching, I'm starting to panic. Part of me is ecstatic to go home, see my parents, my siblings, all my friends. I miss Minneapolis, I miss going to concerts, the theater, uptown. I miss Dairy Queen and Chipotle. I miss Target like it was a first born child of mine that's died. I have a lot of fun summer plans when I get home, I'm going on some road trips, going to meet my new nephew, seeing a lot of my siblings, it'll be a blast. But part of me does NOT want to leave St. Maarten...

I'm going to miss...the crazy drivers. the three hour grocery store trips with piper dancing in her car seat behind me. going to the ocean every night to watch the waves and look at the stars. our security guards who always worry about me if i'm not smiling at them constantly. laughing at nudies at the beach. saying i'll just dip my toes in the ocean and getting completely bombarded by a wave. saying "hello" to an islander and them responding with "ok." getting asked out by a completely random guy you walk past on the street. iguanas. sweating just from walking down to the pool in this heat. getting stuck in bridge traffic and having awesome hour long conversations in the car you weren't anticipating. schwarmas. seeing a movie without constant commentary and cell phone conversations. hurricane rain storms. discovering a store on the island with things i've been missing since i moved. ting soda. being known as the "tan american with the obnixious messy bun" by the apt security staff. stopping for speed bumps every thirty seconds. watching planes fly over the mountain. watching planes land while you're in the ocean. scrubbing constant sand off my body in the shower. smelling like tanning oil 24/7. being frustrated the water is out. being followed by stray cats and dogs. watching an iguana drinking out of the pool water. spending twenty dollars to send out ten post cards. paying four dollars per pound of a package i received. the mcdonalds drive thru that always smells like sulfur and death. paying twenty dollars for a carton of ice cream. getting hustled by people selling things on the beach. having no cares about the celebrity gossip because you dont have tv, and you dont care about it anymore. not recognizing a single song on the radio. not doing my hair. forgetting what make up is. whats a hair dryer?

Time is like a ticking clock, and I just need it to slow down. I love you, St. Maarten island...





2 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to laugh and cry! I am so sad you are leaving. SO sad. What can I do to get you to stay? Promise a constant supply of peanut butter m&m's? You'd better believe I can arrange that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, have you ever had a drunk man corner you in an elevator there, propositioning you with obscene cliches? I think not. Just remember that, and you'll be running home, more excited than ever.

    ReplyDelete