Saturday, March 3, 2012

The big 2-1, Mug Cakes, and the Heineken Regatta

It's almost one in the morning here, I should probably be sleeping, I'll have to be up for church in a few hours...but I of course can never fall asleep on nights before a morning I have to be up early, that's just always how it goes. Plus my best friend is bored at work and I told him I'd text him until he was finished with his shift because I'm the nicest person ever ;) so alas, blog time.

Last Sunday was mine and Casey's birthday, the 26th, so we are birthday twins. We approach birthdays quite differently, he went with the very classy, "I don't want ANY presents this year, just foot rubs and nice gestures," whereas I was like, "THERE'S SO MANY THINGS I WANT! GET MY COMFORTABLE FLIP FLOPS, EARRINGS (I'm an idiot and didn't bring a single pair of earrings, or any jewelery, here with me and my holes are closing) AND A YOGA MAT." Our birthday was really nice. That Sunday in church I told my primary class kids who are aged from 4-7 that it was my birthday and I asked them where my presents were (as a joke--no worries) and they all smacked their foreheads and said, "Oh no! I forgot your present at home!!" Yensen said she drew me a picture and forgot it at her house, and Elijah came up to me at the end of class and told me he had a present for me, and then he gave me a hug, it was absolutely precious. Then at the very end of class they all sang happy birthday to me, highlight of the day by far.

After church Andi had to finish her surprise dessert she'd been working on ALL weekend, so I hid out in my room aka took a nap until she was done. Then we had a bunch of friends over for dinner and played some games, because I LOVE games. Andi then unveiled her dessert which were these so so cute cupcakes with brownies in the middle making them look like hamburgers. Andi gets so creative, she's the best.


These M&Ms were the best present because peanut butter M&Ms are my favorite candy, and we didn't think they sold them anywhere on the island ha.

Piper and I have been broadening our activities lately, trying to explore more, and do some more creative baby things that she'd like. We tried our skills at finger painting which ended up being Piper's hair and body covered in blue paint and me freaking out as she keeps touching things with her gross hands before I can get her into the shower which she screams the entire way through...maybe we'll wait on that again for a while longer.

I took Piper with me to the grocery store and we walked up these stairs next to the store and found this entire little shopping center with cafes, and gelato, and boats, and shops, it was like discovering Narnia or something, the place came out of nowhere. We went to this little french cafe and got some ice cream since that's all this cheap American could afford, and then Piper got annoyed while I walked around taking pictures.







Andi along with the rest of the world it seems like is VERY interested in the Pinterest website lately, which is a really cool website, but she'll stare at her computer and just look through all the bulletins and pictures and just randomly start laughing out loud at stuff. Sometimes I'll just sit across from her and watch her laugh at herself because its quite entertaining for me as well...plus I'm creepy. I usually ridicule Andi about her pinterest obsession UNTIL she found these things called "mug cakes." You essentially take a coffee mug and add flour, an egg, sugar, oil, baking soda, and then we added nutella, and you mix it up with a fork and put it in the microwave for two minutes and it starts to rise so high it looks like its going to explode out of the mug which momentarily bums you out as you have to dread the thought of cleaning out the microwave, but then it sinks down again before explosion, so crisis averted. After two minutes its totally a cake, and its like magic. We were like kids on Christmas morning with our faces shoved against the microwave watching the cakes bake. We're losers. We need a hobby.





Piper LOVES to help people bake. If something is going down in the kitchen, she has to be front and center on the kitchen counter. Just look how happy she is while making cookie dough.

This weekend was the 32nd annual Heineken Regatta which is super fancy language for giant sailboat race. We're lucky that we live on the ocean so we could just go down by the pools and watch all the sailboats go by. There were what seemed like hundreds of 'em. The regatta also meant a lot more tourists in town and the bridge in the harbor randomly went up a lot more to let the boat traffic in and out. We went on an errand five miles away and ended up sitting in traffic for an hour and a half there and back. YIKES. Saturday night there was a Regatta festival in Marigot which is the capitol on the French side. I went with my friends Rose, Kenzie, and Katie down there and they had a bandstand of live music and then big screen monitors showing the races from the past couple of days, it was fun energy. We tried to hunt down some good 'ole French crepes, but most restaurants had a strict regatta menu that didn't include them so we settled for dessert at this one restaurant. When all was said and done we ordered four desserts and WATER and the bill came out to over 50 dollars. We all sat there very confused as to what had just happened. French food is expensive, and water here ALWAYS comes bottled, and about 8 dollars. I literally took the water bottle they gave me home and said I'm going to refill it and bring it with me next time so I don't have to buy water again, I mean jeez. Photo credit on all of the sailboat pictures go to my talented photographer brother in law, Casey. His camera could eat mine, and it takes such good pictures, plus he can artistically capture things that I cannot. I like to mooch off his photos. Thanks, Cas! Here's some pics of the girls and I at the festival, too.









Cari the med student constantly gets sad about how much tanner everyone is than her since she's inside cutting open dead bodies all day. I took some pictures to document my arm next to hers because I think its hilarious, but I'll be wrinklier than her so its all good, she'll feel better then.


Funny Piper story of the week:
Piper is now definitely accustomed to the slow internet here, whenever she watches her YouTube cartoon videos she more than knows that it has to load for a couple of minutes before she can watch it all the way through. Last week Andi and Piper were laying on the bed and Andi was asking her the lines to "Wheels on the Bus" and when Andi would ask what the windows do, or the door does, and Piper didn't answer, Andi would ask again, then Piper would start stalling trying to think of the answer and say back, "Andi, I gotta load!" In summary: Piper is the cutest and smartest baby EVER, and I'm going to pack her in my suitcase when I come home. She'll be the best souvenir ever!

Have a good week, friends! Come visit me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment